Unknown Artwork

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Unknown Artwork

Post by Phoenix »

Can anyone please identify the artist who drew the three pieces of artwork below. The actual sheets are larger than A4, which explains why not all the panels are fully displayed, and they appear to be photocopies. I found them in the box of W. G. Ede's story scripts that I acquired well over a decade ago but only opened yesterday. Tomorrow I will list all the serials and completes in the box that he clearly wrote.
Attachments
Unknown1.jpg
Unknown2.jpg
Unknown3.jpg

Tammyfan

Re: Unknown Artwork

Post by Tammyfan »

Looks like early artwork from the unknown Bunty artist who drew The Dancing Donnellys and The Change in Claire to me.

Looking forward to your list!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Here is the W. G. Ede list, the order being the as-they-came-out-of-the-box order. Where it is clear that a story is going to be a text story I will put [text] otherwise it is destined for pictures.

Stella Starr - Adventure Camp Girl From Outer Space. With episode 5 Adventure Camp changes to Holiday Camp
Sir Arthur's Armour
The Devil Dogs Of Devon
Hammer Judges (about Baron Chell Puddock and Sir Jack Jinks)
Hammer Quest ('')
Lawman Logan
Ambush At Annecy (comp)
The Falklands Phantom (comp cover story)
The Masters Of Moreb ('')
Run For It ('')
Jonah Jones (comp?) dated 2.2.73
Black Jack (comp cover story)
Jaws Of Death ('')
One Night Stand (comp)
The Long Memory (comp cover story)
The Private War Of Corporal Carter [text serial]
Send For Sandra (the name changes to Sally in some instalments)
Bush-Track Tracey
Sanctuary (short text complete)
Tulips From Amsterdam ('')
The Hammer Man [text serial]
Payne's Pioneers (looks like a text serial)
Me And My Imagination
Vicky's Veteran (described as a library novelette script)
The Man's A Marvel
The Revolt Of The Dogs (mentioned in a letter signed by William Blain)
Robina Hood
The Prairie Schooner
A Man To Order (destined for Secrets)
According to a letter from Secrets Mrs Ede is also writing.
The Loch Neill Monster (destined for The Victor)
Balloon Bombardiers
Fighting Camels
Ghost Tank
Garrett's Ghosts (destined for Rover and Wizard)
Best Man (short, short story)
Fun At The Fair ('')
Rainy Day ('')
Horse Lovers ('')
Down The Garden Path ('')
Welsh Wizard('')
The Tankbusters Of B Troop (text serial)
I Will Avenge! (by Guy Phillips : another pen name? It looks like it)
Love's Vengeance (novelette of c35,000 words -I have all of this)
The Wreckers (text serial)
Morgan's Missions (?)
The Golden Gun (text serial)
The Buffalo Buccaneers
The Motor-Bike Mountie
The Private War Of Corporal Carter (text serial)
Stella Starr And The Last Of The Scarletts (destined for Mandy)
Stella Starr - Policewoman Extraordinary

There is also a draft of a letter from Mrs Ede, on behalf of her husband, to a Mr A. S. Halley, the editor of Mandy, enclosing part 11 of Stella Starr and The Scarlett Line stating that ''he reckons it best in present circumstances to finish this little series off now'', and asking him to make the payment to her ''since these are now joint efforts during his illness''.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The artwork must be for Stella Starr - Policewoman Extraordinary.

I remember an ad for a picture library called "Me and My Imagination!" from somewhere.

There was a story in June called Robina Hood. But there is the possibility there is a DCT serial with the same title.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just rung my friend Billy Nicholls, who asks me several times a week if I have started work on the history of The Hotspur, his favourite story paper, (I haven't), to remind me how exactly I acquired this Ede collection. Apparently I had already bought and paid for them from a secondhand bookshop in Watford, and as I was still teaching and taking a school football team's games on Saturday mornings, Billy offered to pick them up for me. He was going to be driving down to Watford anyway to support his team Tranmere Rovers a few weeks after my purchase, and he offered to go to the shop after the match. I rang the shop owner, Vic somebody, to alert him, and to make sure that he would be still in the shop when Billy got there.

A propos of my future scribblings, I am due to start a short course the week after next to learn how to create eBooks. :shock:

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Hey, I took a short course in ebook publishing too! Had to take a weekend trip away for it, which was quite fun!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Hey, I took a short course in ebook publishing too!
That's interesting. Have you had any books published already as eBooks, Tammyfan? If not, for what are/were you planning on using the knowledge you gained? I am aware of a lot of articles you have penned, in fact I'm sure I've printed them all off, but I'm not aware of any book.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:There was a story in June called Robina Hood. But there is the possibility there is a DCT serial with the same title.
Yes, Robina Hood was a long serial that ran in Bunty 1461 (Jan. 11 1986) - 1488 (Jul. 19 1986).

peace355

Post by peace355 »

The artwork looks to be from Kitty and the Crooked Myles from Emma - #61 (21 April 1979) – #81 (08 September 1979)
I don't have the issue with that particular art but here's one from later episode:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It looks like the work of Jose Casanovas, a regular contributor of work to the girls comics, Starblazer and 2000AD
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:The artwork looks to be from Kitty and the Crooked Myles from Emma - #61 (21 April 1979) – #81 (08 September 1979)
Oh, very well remembered, peace. Thank you so very much. The pages in the order I posted them are the three pages of the first instalment in issue 61 in that same order.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Looks more like the work of Vitor Peon to me, Col.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Looks more like the work of Vitor Peon to me, Col.
I'll give you that one. They both have a similar style, but Vitor's faces have a bit more character, whereas Jose's faces are more beautified if that makes sense.

I must admit that I had never come across the name of Vitor Peon until you put it here. This is an aspect of our hobby that I love.

Now if I can only get you to help me with a pile of credits on the Commando comics, then I would be ahead of the game! :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

It looks a bit like Matias Alonso to me.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:Hey, I took a short course in ebook publishing too!
That's interesting. Have you had any books published already as eBooks, Tammyfan? If not, for what are/were you planning on using the knowledge you gained? I am aware of a lot of articles you have penned, in fact I'm sure I've printed them all off, but I'm not aware of any book.
Tried one book under a pen name, but the notes were more useful for helping someone else get some ebooks up as he didn't have the training.