Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

a lot, lot more, Adam! I doubt if there's many folks out there anywhere with such a collection...who knows even if D C Thomson themselves own mint copies of the very early Beano material!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I picked a 2000 AD #2 up without the stickers back in about 1992, along with numbers #1, #4 and #5, for ten pence each after finding them in a cardboard box on the pavement outside a second hand bookshop in Crystal Palace. :D

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I think the prog number count is currently up to about issue 1980: I have yet to see their 'prog 1977' but hopefully they done some sort of reference to this number within that issue
They did, a special one-off Tharg story about why he came to Earth.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I look forwards to seeing this Tony--I catch up with the newer progs in a backlog every every 10 weeks or so: my next binge scheduled for late next week.

Oh how my comic-reading habits have changed.......

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i have started collecting 2000ad again and buying back issues on ebay from last few years but its a bit of a hard read now as some stories are awful i dont think i will be reading the ones from when i stopped collecting apart from maybe the classic characters.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think a lot of the material in 2000 AD nowadays is a hard slog too, Bri: much of it is deliberately 'arty' and wilfully obscure, to the point where a few items are virtually unreadable.
However! There's usually two or three stories worth reading including Dredd and the Future Shocks-like spin-offs.

I enjoy a lot of the advanced digital colour techniques they use and often just admire the artwork alone!

Visually brilliant as ever, but a lot of the concepts are ropey in my view.

I will continue 'reading' [if not really taking everything in] it though: brilliant to dip into.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

tony ingram wrote:I picked a 2000 AD #2 up without the stickers back in about 1992, along with numbers #1, #4 and #5, for ten pence each after finding them in a cardboard box on the pavement outside a second hand bookshop in Crystal Palace. :D
Damn! I lived in Anerley from '88 to '97 and missed that one. Great bargain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I think you'll find that that's the price for the entire collection of almost 2000 2000AD comics with a couple of gifts.
So it is. Thanks for the clarification, Adam. It would still be interesting to know though how the seller reached that exact valuation.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:I think you'll find that that's the price for the entire collection of almost 2000 2000AD comics with a couple of gifts.
So it is. Thanks for the clarification, Adam. It would still be interesting to know though how the seller reached that exact valuation.

I think we'll find it's the old "lick-your-finger-and-hold-it-in-the-air" method!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

comic pricing is so subjective; if you were to buy a certain comic for a grand, don't think for a minute you would be able to sell it for more. I only buy comics and very rarely sell (I've sold a set of stickers for 2000 ad prog 2 and was handsomely rewarded). Any surplus comics I end up with are usually offloaded to the nearest kid who shows any interest. (Gotta be careful here as I don't want "the hand of authority" on my door as the Bowie song "Little Bombadier" goes :shock: )

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Adam Eterno wrote:This looks as if it's going to be a record for a Commando #1 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391442944868? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Although I'm not a devoted Commando collector I must admit I am glad that in 1979 I bought Commando No1 from one of Sarah Baddiel's catalogues for the princely sum, then, of £5!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:This looks as if it's going to be a record for a Commando #1 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391442944868? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Although I'm not a devoted Commando collector I must admit I am glad that in 1979 I bought Commando No1 from one of Sarah Baddiel's catalogues for the princely sum, then, of £5!
I've given up hope of ever having issue 1 with the prices it fetches now. I am still stunned at the collection that I got from Corstorphine and that was nowhere near that price. I was honest with the seller and said that he could probably get a lot more money from Ebay but I think he got his money's worth out of me oohing and aahing over them when he brought them in as no amount of money can buy that sort of pleasure for anyone.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Kashgar wrote:
It finally sold for £926 so not a bad possible investment for you back in 1979!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

TV Century 21 issues 1-49 - £800 BiN. I looked at these and seriously considered them as it is a series I want to collect but while I was dithering, they sold very quickly. £16 a copy wasn't as a bad a deal as I thought in hindsight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-TV-Cen ... 7675.l2557

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Kashgar wrote:Although I'm not a devoted Commando collector I must admit I am glad that in 1979 I bought Commando No1 from one of Sarah Baddiel's catalogues for the princely sum, then, of £5!
Hard to believe now, but in 1979 I'd have probably thought you had more money than sense! :)