Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

Re: Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Post by starscape »

Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote: the seller has 0 feedback surely you would have some as a buyer even
I thought the same
Highest bidder also has zero feedback. All sounds a little suspicious.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

starscape wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote: the seller has 0 feedback surely you would have some as a buyer even
I thought the same
Highest bidder also has zero feedback. All sounds a little suspicious.
All three bidders have only made one bid on one item......this one. I'll be avoiding I think!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

What's more, it is only the first fifty issues on offer plus a Summer Special.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

4 bidders 1 with 20 feedback 1 with 40 and 2 with zero whats the betting they mysteriously get lost in transit or something.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:4 bidders 1 with 20 feedback 1 with 40 and 2 with zero whats the betting they mysteriously get lost in transit or something.
The seller may not need to post the comics, Bri, if all the bidders were just friends of his trying to give the impression that there was active interest in the auction lot even though bidding was light. Of course this impression may be completely wrong but I am suspicious though. I emailed him yesterday afternoon to ask if his word collection meant that he was selling every issue of the comic, pointing out that his ad gave the impression that he was advertising the full run. In his reply he said that it was the first fifty issues only plus one Summer Special that he was advertising, and that in the light of my comments he had tried to amend his ad but hadn't known how to.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I missed these but a great price achieved for Boy's World comics:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boys-World-Co ... SwbYZXb-kt

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

This must be around the right price if the comic is in good condition as Valiant #1 went for £38.67 in May

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M32b-Comic-Th ... SwsTxXjlrX

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That seems a little low to me. It's probably OK but if I saw it the whiteness of the paper in the photo would make me a little suspicious as there are plenty of facsimiles of that issue around (I think I've got one myself).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I missed these but a great price achieved for Boy's World comics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boys-World-Co ... SwbYZXb-kt
Has this been an attempted scam, or am I missing something here? Three bids, all by the same bidder, rising from a starting price of £100 via £120 and £351 to £612.34, without there being any other interest on the horizon! Why would the bidder not win the item with his £120 bid?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:That seems a little low to me. It's probably OK but if I saw it the whiteness of the paper in the photo would make me a little suspicious as there are plenty of facsimiles of that issue around (I think I've got one myself).
I've got a mint condition white facsimile of that comic too, Phil, complete with its lovely silver staples.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:That seems a little low to me. It's probably OK but if I saw it the whiteness of the paper in the photo would make me a little suspicious as there are plenty of facsimiles of that issue around (I think I've got one myself).
We'll soon find out whether it's real as I've just found out that the winning bidder was my Mrs! It was meant as a surprise pressie and I ruined it. If it's not an original, I don't think I'd better tell her!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Aw...that's a lovely thought! On balance I think it's probably an original (especially as the seller seems above-board and reasonably experienced) - but even if it DID turn out to be a facsimile I'd treasure it anyway! :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

It looks genuine to me. It is possible for newsprint to still be white or off white after all these years if the comics have been looked after. I don't know about issue 1 but the earliest Valiants I have are from 1963 and the cover stock, whilst newsprint, was of a slightly higher grade than the interiors so it hasn't deteriorated. The cover stock was downgraded in 1965 when the comic increased to 40 pages.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

The Valiant was genuine I'm glad to say. 1 small rip and a little rolling on the spine but otherwise in very good condition so the poor one I already had is going on Ebay!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

What a fantastic present! Now you'll have to think of something equally spectacular to get for Mrs. Eterno! :)