Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Post by Lew Stringer »

Adam Eterno wrote:
koollectablz wrote:
It seems bound comics are actually fetching a really good price nowadays, I can see the attraction.

In fact that was what I'd do with the TV Comics if I'd bought them.
Funny you say that as I was looking at the cost of binding comics last night after looking at the Shiver 'n Shakes! £20 for up to 3cm thick and £10 for each additional cm was the first one I found which doesn't seem a bad price at all.

Most of the bound comics on eBay are from the AP/IPC archives, bound by the publisher back then in (usually) six month's worth of comics per book. i understand the publisher sold them off years ago, which is how they turn up in auctions now, although some were "liberated" before then by enthusiastic staff members.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Yeah it seems there's quite a few places that'll do it, and it's not ridiculously expensive.

The thing to remember is to have them sewn onto tape first and then bound so you can lie them out flat once bound, so no art is obscured if there's double page spreads etc.

If that guy did it with the TV Comics, I think they'll actually be much more saleable. Considering there's only eight pages in them you could get a full year in one volume. Plus as a lot have browning/wear to the edges it'll make them more attractive once trimmed. That was exactly my plan.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Thats not bad tbh, first ten voulmes for that price.

The missing issues should be fairly easy to locate. Then a good candidate to get the first volume rebound and then all the rest to match. You'd get the first ten matching volumes all nicely bound for well under a grand in total inc comics.

Shame the first issue is heavily taped - but not a deal breaker I'd say.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Thats not bad tbh, first ten voulmes for that price.

The missing issues should be fairly easy to locate. Then a good candidate to get the first volume rebound and then all the rest to match. You'd get the first ten matching volumes all nicely bound for well under a grand in total inc comics.

Shame the first issue is heavily taped - but not a deal breaker I'd say.

I agree. If I'd seen them on offer I would have had to think long and hard about it. I'd quite enjoy the hunt for the missing issues!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

If I'd seen them I'd have definately bought them, done exactly what I said in my previous post, kept them for a few months, and then re-sold I think.

Certain comics lend themselves to be bound very well, larger size comics like the Eagle especially, as you can get a lot of issues in one volume without them being compromised to read. The worse comics to bind are american sized, many pages in a small format dont work well at all.

But yeah, those were a nice buy for the buyer and a good sell for the seller too.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:If I'd seen them I'd have definately bought them, done exactly what I said in my previous post, kept them for a few months, and then re-sold I think.

Certain comics lend themselves to be bound very well, larger size comics like the Eagle especially, as you can get a lot of issues in one volume without them being compromised to read. The worse comics to bind are american sized, many pages in a small format dont work well at all.

But yeah, those were a nice buy for the buyer and a good sell for the seller too.
I've never had comics bound before but I'm contemplating having my full set of Rocket from 1956 done as an experiment.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I've seen the Rocket done before, they’re a good choice because of the size and the comparatively small number of issues in the run.

I'm sounding a bit like a binding evangelist here... I'm not, honest. It takes a careful think as to whether its prudent to bind certain things. Anything that physically changes the state of a comic - and binding will involve trimming and other irreversible 'damage' will affect any subsequent resale value.

To my mind the best candidates are large size runs that are maybe not in the best of condition to start with, and so actually benefit from having ragged/edges trimmed and their spines sewn.

But yeah, when a bound full year of 1968 Beano can realise over a grand and the same full year (two missing) only achieves £150 then its definitely something to consider...

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:I've seen the Rocket done before, they’re a good choice because of the size and the comparatively small number of issues in the run.

I'm sounding a bit like a binding evangelist here... I'm not, honest. It takes a careful think as to whether its prudent to bind certain things. Anything that physically changes the state of a comic - and binding will involve trimming and other irreversible 'damage' will affect any subsequent resale value.

To my mind the best candidates are large size runs that are maybe not in the best of condition to start with, and so actually benefit from having ragged/edges trimmed and their spines sewn.

But yeah, when a bound full year of 1968 Beano can realise over a grand and the same full year (two missing) only achieves £150 then its definitely something to consider...
Your thought process seems similar to mine and I'm in no hurry so a decision won't be made hastily! Thanks for the insight.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

That's the highest price I've seen for the set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAPTAIN-BRITA ... SwknJXzd1E

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Looks like a good deal for both sides on these Beano's:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEANO-COMIC-1 ... SwzaJX2Zax

I had no idea a 1990's comic was worth that!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batman-Advent ... SwTA9X7ol4

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:Looks like a good deal for both sides on these Beano's:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEANO-COMIC-1 ... SwzaJX2Zax

I had no idea a 1990's comic was worth that!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batman-Advent ... SwTA9X7ol4
It is the first Harley Quinn appearance that pushes that little beauty up and New Mutants 98, from 1991, can go for over £200 in a good condition. If it is Near Mint or Mint, it gets closer to £500.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

It is the first Harley Quinn appearance that pushes that little beauty up and New Mutants 98, from 1991, can go for over £200 in a good condition. If it is Near Mint or Mint, it gets closer to £500.[/quote]

Wow!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I almost missed this as it went through at the same time as the banned Action comic on Ebay. The Commando #1s seem to have a consistent pricing of £750 to £950 currently.