Ebay - you want how much for it???

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by starscape »

I'll sell him mine for £300, then he can make a £100 profit. Think he'd go for that?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACTION-BANNED ... Sw8gVYBln8

This should be interesting...

Anyone here looking to take a go at it?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

koollectablz wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACTION-BANNED ... Sw8gVYBln8

I'd love to but I think that I am out of the running already.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACTION-BANNED ... Sw8gVYBln8

Thanks for posting that. I may have missed it. I may have a go but I think it will go for too much for me. I need to have a close look over the weekend

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Well, I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring at some point I think.

I don't even collect Action, but to get one of these is a helluva temptation to start.

If you do already collect Action, it's gonna be one of the only chances you'll have to acquire one and complete the set. Shame about the small spine split but it's still an extremely nice looking copy.

Definitely one of those items that's gonna cost far more than you'd want and will give you intense buyers remorse, but then a year from know you'll still have it and be glad you bought it when you did.

Most people could sell everything they have and then reacquire it quite easily given time and enough money, this item.... Different kettle of fish.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I've had a close look and I'm going to go for it. I have the set, except this one, and even have all the annuals so it would be rude not to!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Well, I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring at some point I think.

I don't even collect Action, but to get one of these is a helluva temptation to start.

If you do already collect Action, it's gonna be one of the only chances you'll have to acquire one and complete the set. Shame about the small spine split but it's still an extremely nice looking copy.

Definitely one of those items that's gonna cost far more than you'd want and will give you intense buyers remorse, but then a year from know you'll still have it and be glad you bought it when you did.

Most people could sell everything they have and then reacquire it quite easily given time and enough money, this item.... Different kettle of fish.

£4,110.75!!! I didn't dream it would get near that figure!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

That is a phenomenal price, considering the minor tear it had. Was it a case of two determined bidders that drove the price up?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

geoff42 wrote:That is a phenomenal price, considering the minor tear it had. Was it a case of two determined bidders that drove the price up?
Looks like it. Only 2 bidders bid over £2100 (which I thought it would go for) and only 4 bidders bid over £1000.

Good on the seller! I wonder if that price achieved might bring some other copies onto the market??

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Well I threw my hat in, last second, but it didnt even reg as a bid!

What a price!

I knew it'd go high, because as you say, the rest of the set is gettable. So if you're a collector of the run then its really go high as possible on this or go home...

What did the one phil sold a couple years ago go for? Just a touch over £2k wasnt it?

This could well be the highest price ever paid for a British comic published after WW2? I'm trying to think of something comparable, but even the last Marvelman #25 to actually sell didn't get to this iirc (though I think it'd surpass it now).

The 1973 brown face Rupert annual went for £12k, but that was an annual...

The small spine tear wouldnt bother me in the least tbh.

Great item, awesome price. Congrats to seller and buyer!

Anyone here get it?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

koollectablz wrote:...What did the one phil sold a couple years ago go for? Just a touch over £2k wasnt it?

This could well be the highest price ever paid for a British comic published after WW2? I'm trying to think of something comparable, but even the last Marvelman #25 to actually sell didn't get to this iirc (though I think it'd surpass it now)....

Anyone here get it?
Yes, the last one went for just over £2,200 and Geoff bought a copy for £2,000 in a private deal. Not bad going at all to double your money in such a short space of time! :lol:

That is a good point about it being the most valuable post-WW2 UK comic as even Viz #1 only gets to around £1,500.

And no, it's not heading in this direction... :cry:

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Hi, Col, if you are curious... there was a tiny mercenary seed in my mind when this latest banned Action sold for over 4 grand, along the lines of... "Um, 100% profit on 2 grand within 16 months..." Yeah, an investor's dream to turn round such a profit in such a brief time. But, I always maintained that I didn't buy Action for an investment...firstly, it was purely self-indulgence from a collector's point of view. Secondly, it will be fostered primarily for collection and not investment. No greedy-eyed relative will get their paws on this because I haven't told anybody apart from my dear mother who has far more money to think about than my so-so rare possession. I'll end up giving it away to someone who will genuinely appreciate it. :cheers:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I hope you and your newly-acquired booty will be eternally happy, Jeffers!

4 thousand quid---why, that's more than the combined wages paid to artists for an entire modern comic---I reckons.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The trouble is that if the handful of remaining collectors ready and able to pay that kind of money eventually succeed in acquiring their own copies the going rate could quickly tail off quite sharply.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

geoff42 wrote:Hi, Col, if you are curious... there was a tiny mercenary seed in my mind when this latest banned Action sold for over 4 grand, along the lines of... "Um, 100% profit on 2 grand within 16 months..." Yeah, an investor's dream to turn round such a profit in such a brief time. But, I always maintained that I didn't buy Action for an investment...firstly, it was purely self-indulgence from a collector's point of view. Secondly, it will be fostered primarily for collection and not investment. No greedy-eyed relative will get their paws on this because I haven't told anybody apart from my dear mother who has far more money to think about than my so-so rare possession. I'll end up giving it away to someone who will genuinely appreciate it. :cheers:
Geoff, I will be honest and say that was roughly my thoughts about you. Double my money or keep the comic. Naw! Stuff the money! This issue is like rocking horse poo so it ain't going nowhere!

From our chats on here, I was willing to bet you were a collector first and investment a poor second. Admittedly, you have deeper pockets than I so I am a wee bit jealous of that, but otherwise, I am chuffed that you are able to pick up some of these beauties as they come along.

My main wish to win the lottery is so that I can afford to buy three comics that are currently out of my price range. That issue of Action is one, issue 1 of Commando is another and the other is the first Victor Summer Special from 1967.

I have lost count of the comics that I have picked up over the years and I have always bought them for their value as a comic to me, not for their economic value to anyone else.

Still jealous that you have a copy and I don't though! :lol: