What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

-The Ogri Collection No.3 - signed by Paul Sample along with a drawing of Atilla the Hen (my favourite book when I was in primary school, illustrated by Sample!)
-Knockabout Comics No.2
-Knockabout Comics No.5
-E.Z. Wolf's Astral Outhouse, by Ted Richards (Last Gasp)
-Underground Comics, an unlicensed collection from around 1975 featuring all the usual suspects (Crumb, Spiegelman, Deitch, Wilson and so on) plus a few oddities, such as the "Freak Sisters" - no artist names, but it's the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers redrawn with female anatomy, getting up to all sorts of three-panel fun.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went to Spitalfields antique market yesterday and picked up 54 Hotspurs and Wizards from mid 1940s for £50. All good but some crumbling to the outer edges, may have to trim them. Also got Scoop no. 1 for 50p and a few late seventies Tigers and a Scorcher for 50p each. On Sunday at the ephemera fair I picked up 26 very nice (almost new) Beezers from 1965 for £80. Plus some Rangers and Adventures boys papers from 1930s for £5 each. And a few other bits and pieces.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I went to Spitalfields antique market yesterday and picked up 54 Hotspurs and Wizards from mid 1940s for £50.
Obviously a good deal, Steve. It is, however, becoming more and more obvious to me that the market for text story papers is falling away. Even on-line dealers such as D&M Books are accepting lowish offers. If still alive Norman Shaw and his contemporaries would be weeping copiously into their beer. The time has clearly arrived for interested buyers to get buying.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

A full year's worth of Misty from 1979. All reasonable condition. (A few corner folds, and one with a torn cover but otherwise very nice.) Worked out at about £2 each, which is a bargain for this title.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes i must admit I don't think i have ever read a text story in a boys or girls paper. The Hotspur covers are bright and imaginative and its nice to preserve them as they were not bagged and were shredding confetti. He had some of the narrow issues of Rover and Adventure but wanted £5 each as he said they were rarer.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Yes i must admit I don't think i have ever read a text story in a boys or girls paper.
The only text story papers for girls that I am aware of, Steve, are The Blue Bird, from Thomsons in the twenties, and Girls' Crystal into the forties from the Amalgamated Press. The former became defunct in 1924 after being swallowed up by My Weekly, and the latter eventually became mainly a picture story paper. As for the boys' papers that you have just bought, read them. You will hopefully be so surprised by their quality that not only you will be rushing back to Spitalfields next weekend but you will have to take more money than usual to the ephemera fairs in your neck of the woods that you seem to attend regularly. Wasn't it at a London ephemera fair where we met for the first time?

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Lew Stringer wrote:A full year's worth of Misty from 1979. All reasonable condition. (A few corner folds, and one with a torn cover but otherwise very nice.) Worked out at about £2 each, which is a bargain for this title.
Good one Lew!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Found these comics in the Forbidden Planet 50p boxes----------
CRIMINAL 1OTH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL (IMAGE)
GRUMPY CAT (DYNAMITE)
Complete stories and they look interesting reads .

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Phoenix wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:Yes i must admit I don't think i have ever read a text story in a boys or girls paper.
The only text story papers for girls that I am aware of, Steve, are The Blue Bird, from Thomsons in the twenties, and Girls' Crystal into the forties from the Amalgamated Press. The former became defunct in 1924 after being swallowed up by My Weekly, and the latter eventually became mainly a picture story paper. As for the boys' papers that you have just bought, read them. You will hopefully be so surprised by their quality that not only you will be rushing back to Spitalfields next weekend but you will have to take more money than usual to the ephemera fairs in your neck of the woods that you seem to attend regularly. Wasn't it at a London ephemera fair where we met for the first time?
There's the School Friend. The Schoolgirl, also some tabloid sized papers from around a century ago. Some mixed text and strips. Yes we met at the ephemera fair and I still owe you a drink. Jon Levene was selling comics at the ephemera fair. I got four consecutive fifties film funs for a tenner too, excellent condition.

Thinking back I did read a text Alf Tupper story as I like the character so much.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In Deptford flea market today I picked up an almost new copy of 1973 Princess Tina annual for 50p.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:There's the School Friend, The Schoolgirl
Of course. How could I forget those? I think at that point I was mentally recalling our most recent meeting in 30th Century Comics. You were with your mate Steve and I had my granddaughter Aurora with me. I don't remember any of us buying anything but we certainly had a good chat, and Aurora was very patient, probably waiting for us to get onto interesting topics such as Rainbow Dash, Peppa Pig, and the characters in Frozen.

SID

Post by SID »

First five issues of Rok of the Reds. I haven't started reading them yet but am looking forward to it.

Would love to get the full run of Misty but the price that is being asked at eBay is too much.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

comixminx wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:A full year's worth of Misty from 1979. All reasonable condition. (A few corner folds, and one with a torn cover but otherwise very nice.) Worked out at about £2 each, which is a bargain for this title.
Good one Lew!
Thanks. I only had one issue before so it's all new to me. I've read half a dozen issues tonight and really enjoyed them. I just missed out on a similar sale of 34 issues from 1978 but I'm pleased with the 51 I have.

Also bought a full year's run of Eagle comics from 1964, mainly for the superb art by Keith Watson, Frank Bellamy, and Luis Bermejo. Very nice condition, most almost as new.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

blaing

Post by blaing »

Just received in the mail this morning.

From the DCT shop

Beano Christmas Special, 2016

And from NewsStand.co.uk

Danger Mouse No. 4

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Through the letterbox today...

-The Bog Paper No.8 (Xmas special!)
-Monster Wrestlers in my Pocket No.1 (finally found one that wasn't a silly price)
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s