What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Bri, although I sold a few of my comics, Things went a little quiet, and decided in the end that I am keeping what I had. I was still going to finish collecting the issues of Sparky though

Now that I have completed my set, I won't be buying much more.

As I was sorting out my duplicates, I still found that I needed a better copy of one or two comics, but that is for the new year.

To Adam Eterno, If I had the room, I would have loved to have completed the run of Whoopee! Or Jackpot. Realistically, I only have enough room for a very short term run comic (Jet, if only for the Ken Reid Faceache strips)

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

I'm not sure I have the wallet or room to complete full runs of issues I would like. Collecting first issues could be a long shot too unless its a 1960s or later run. So I've tried to stick to a reasonable target.
Collect last issues, Easter, Fireworks & Christmas issues or issues where one joins into another. So I've got the last Comic Cuts, Illustrated Chips, Dandy (who doesn't - yep both gold & silver variants), Monster Fun & Cor! and most of the follow up issues where they joint to a new run. Looks like Buster was the last man standing.
I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
Also finding free gift issues. I picked up alot of 1980s Buster Comic free gifts when I bulk bought a stack of 1980s Buster comics. It was like christmas.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

irishjohnp wrote:I'm not sure I have the wallet or room to complete full runs of issues I would like. Collecting first issues could be a long shot too unless its a 1960s or later run. So I've tried to stick to a reasonable target.
Collect last issues, Easter, Fireworks & Christmas issues or issues where one joins into another. So I've got the last Comic Cuts, Illustrated Chips, Dandy (who doesn't - yep both gold & silver variants), Monster Fun & Cor! and most of the follow up issues where they joint to a new run. Looks like Buster was the last man standing.
I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
Also finding free gift issues. I picked up alot of 1980s Buster Comic free gifts when I bulk bought a stack of 1980s Buster comics. It was like christmas.
Wallet's and rooms can accomodate most things.....if you REALLY want them! :D
Last edited by Adam Eterno on 25 Nov 2016, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Busy day why on a flying visit to London

Popples #1 - Marvel - 1987 with free gifts
Action Double Double Comics #1 - T&P -1967
Batman Double Double Comics #1 - T&P - 1967
Dan'l Boone #1 - L. Miler which I think was World Distributers - 1955?

The remainder of the many Picture Libraries that I've recently bought turned up as well but have to look at them tomorrow.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Paul temple library #4 - a Micron publication
Attachments
pt200 001.jpg
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Just back from Tescoes with this year's annuals - Beano and Dandy, both at half price. I can't stop sniffing them at moment because I just love that fresh smell of a new book :P

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Nice and interesting bundle through the post today :D

-Issues 16 of Pulp (1992), from when it was combined with Ziggy to make some sort of "super comic"
-The Xmas special of the same
-The Big Lift #1 (1987) with free postcards
-Bumper Knoackabout Trial Special (1984, hardback thing featuring Hunt Emerson, Cliff Harper, Steve Bell, George Szostek, Chris Welch, Savage Pencil, John Dowie, Alan Moore etc)
-Superwest Comics #1 (1987) by Massimo Mattioli (another nice hardback thing) - lots of copyright infringement fun in this one
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

starscape

Post by starscape »

Got a load of Victors from 1980-1 during my trip to Aberdour to see the Castle. Funnily enough, I was desperate to get to the collectables shop in North Berwick during a visit to another castle yesterday but couldn't as had to get back for Linlithgow's torchlight procession.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A quiet weekend thank goodness with Compal's auction finishing with prices reaching out of my "happy" zone and not much grabbing me on Ebay I enjoyed the evening at the football rather than frantically bidding all over the place!

I did manage to acquire 3 items though:

Noddy Time #1 - Woman's Way - 1975
Valiant Book of Sports - 1973
Arizona Kid #1 (only issue) - Streamline - 1952

Off to the Wirral and Chester this week so will try to get some time to search for comic-selling charity shops!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

blaing wrote:Bri, although I sold a few of my comics, Things went a little quiet, and decided in the end that I am keeping wha

To Adam Eterno, If I had the room, I would have loved to have completed the run of Whoopee! Or Jackpot. Realistically, I only have enough room for a very short term run comic (Jet, if only for the Ken Reid Faceache strips)
there's always room to be found lol

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

irishjohnp wrote: I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
i recently completed my run of whoopee it was such a sweet feeling :lol:

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

big bad bri wrote:
irishjohnp wrote: I'd like to complete my runs of Shiver & Shake and also Monster Fun at the very least, maybe even Whoopee too. I think that do-able. It's trying to find them with white pages & no rust to staples or owner name thats the fun bit.
i recently completed my run of whoopee it was such a sweet feeling :lol:
git! lol

what next?

babington

Post by babington »

Today I am the proud owner of a copy of the Swedish version of Buster from 1967.
buster-1.jpg
buster-2.jpg

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Wow, didn't even know that existed :D
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Fascinating - it looks like a combination of characters from Buster and Tiger & Hurricane. Generally speaking the writers and artists knew nothing about these foreign editions of their work unless they travelled abroad on holiday!