What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:'Blighty' is new to me and sounds fascinating - what strips (if any) were included?
Info on Blighty here, Phil:
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=blighty

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks Lew! The description of it as a comic threw me for a while, but now I think about it I'm pretty sure I've got a few copies myself somewhere. Wish I'd picked up some Arthur Ferrier artwork when it was going cheap a few years ago!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:Thanks Lew! The description of it as a comic threw me for a while, but now I think about it I'm pretty sure I've got a few copies myself somewhere. Wish I'd picked up some Arthur Ferrier artwork when it was going cheap a few years ago!
Yes, definitely not a comic but it did feature some short humour strips on some pages. I'm not sure it was a "Forces only" mag. I think it was sold on bookstalls along with other mags of its type. They were the precursors to "girlie" mags. Blighty eventually became Parade.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

hook jaw iss 1 and wwe comic from boom

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I just mangled the old adage of be careful what you wish for. In our internet savvy days, this should now read be careful what you bid on, you just might get it! :lol:

I won the mixed batch of 1960 to 1963 Wizards from Mr Shrimpton so that should be some more gaps filled in
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

Lew Stringer wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Thanks Lew! The description of it as a comic threw me for a while, but now I think about it I'm pretty sure I've got a few copies myself somewhere. Wish I'd picked up some Arthur Ferrier artwork when it was going cheap a few years ago!
Yes, definitely not a comic but it did feature some short humour strips on some pages. I'm not sure it was a "Forces only" mag. I think it was sold on bookstalls along with other mags of its type. They were the precursors to "girlie" mags. Blighty eventually became Parade.
Reminds me of Punch Magazine. alot of adverts at the back of it. never seen it before so it was cheap enough to give it a try.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A quieter period for me as I've lost out on dozens of auctions both on Ebay and elsewhere. Prices seem to be still increasing.

I still managed to pick up:

Forbidden Worlds #1 - T&P - 1950
Side Show Comics #1 - Pan Graphics - 1987
Purple Hood #1 - Spencer - 1965 - Rubbish artwork and pretty poor story lines but it joins the #2 I picked up before Christmas and I still found it strangely entertaining!
Eagle #1 + free gift spinner - IPC - 1982
Black Knight #1 - L Miller - 1955
Casper the Friendly Ghost #1 - Harvey - 1973
Jackpot #3 + Free gift - IPC - 1979
In Orbit - #1 of 1 - Turton - 1960

Probably a bad idea but I decided to keep a tally of what my net spend on comics is this year and was very pleased that after all costs I managed to only spend £5 net on comics in January. My beloved is pretty sceptical as the postman is forever delivering parcels but I've managed to load quite a few duplicates on Ebay this month so I've got to try and keep it going.......until that "must have at any cost" comic is up for grabs!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Adam Eterno wrote: Purple Hood #1 - Spencer - 1965 - Rubbish artwork and pretty poor story lines but it joins the #2 I picked up before Christmas and I still found it strangely entertaining!
Just a slight correction for your records, but that was published in 1967. Agree with you on the art and story but there was a certain charm to it when I bought issue 2 back in the sixties. I liked it because it was cruder than other comics. :)

The same publisher did a few other titles in that format, around the same time, all drawn by the same artist, (Michael Jay), which might explain why they all look so rushed.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote: Purple Hood #1 - Spencer - 1965 - Rubbish artwork and pretty poor story lines but it joins the #2 I picked up before Christmas and I still found it strangely entertaining!
Just a slight correction for your records, but that was published in 1967. Agree with you on the art and story but there was a certain charm to it when I bought issue 2 back in the sixties. I liked it because it was cruder than other comics. :)

The same publisher did a few other titles in that format, around the same time, all drawn by the same artist, (Michael Jay), which might explain why they all look so rushed.
Thanks for that. The comics don't have any dates on them so I checked the Grand Comic Database which has them as '65. It's a good thought that the crudity is the reason why I have enjoyed them so much!

I've got Fantasy Stories #1 and Strange Stories #1 as well but haven't got the #1s for Macabre Stories, Mark Tyme and Spectre Stories. Half way there!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Adam Eterno wrote: Thanks for that. The comics don't have any dates on them so I checked the Grand Comic Database which has them as '65. It's a good thought that the crudity is the reason why I have enjoyed them so much!

I've got Fantasy Stories #1 and Strange Stories #1 as well but haven't got the #1s for Macabre Stories, Mark Tyme and Spectre Stories. Half way there!

Back in those days, independent UK comics and American comics would hang around the shops for years. I first discovered The Purple Hood with No.2 in 1969 on a holiday to Blackpool, although I later found out it was published two years earlier. I didn't see Mark Tyme in a newsagents until 1975, when it was presumably reissued from old warehouse stock with a 5p sticker obscuring the 1967 1/- price. (I've since bought a few of the other John Spencer comics over the years from eBay.)

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Don't know if we've already mentioned this- it seems familiar - but John Spencer & Co. also published Spectre Stories in 1967 and the art is not by Michael Jay. A number of the stories bear the credit, "Mick Anglo - London". The remainder bear no credits and a couple look like European reprints, but I could be mistaken.
There were 6 issues in the series according to the Price Guide. Hope that adds to discussion.

SID

Post by SID »

Just under 50 issues of Smash! from March 1969 until Christmas 1969.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Actually, it was yesterday, but I picked up 8 Commandos, 1 War PL and three Battle PL Holiday Specials. And I picked up the Titan issue 1 of Hookjaw with the Brian Williamson cover so I now have the pencils and finished article! :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:Don't know if we've already mentioned this- it seems familiar - but John Spencer & Co. also published Spectre Stories in 1967 and the art is not by Michael Jay. A number of the stories bear the credit, "Mick Anglo - London". The remainder bear no credits and a couple look like European reprints, but I could be mistaken.
There were 6 issues in the series according to the Price Guide. Hope that adds to discussion.
2, 3, 4 & 5 are for sale on Ebay and have been for some time. I haven't seen the #1 for sale for at least 2 years. I didn't realise the artwork wasn't by Michael Jay.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Valiant Summer Specials for 1970 and 1971. That makes 10 I have now but still a few to go to get them all