What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

stevezodiac wrote:The ephemera fair is at the Royal National - the same place as the comic fair. The next Comic fair is 23 April and the Ephemera is 30 April. I'll try to put a flyer up here.
thanks steve i thought the comic marts stopped years ago in london id better start saving.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

I decided to treat myself to the Dandy comic free gift, the 'Whirly Twirly' from issue #1663, 1973. After waiting many years for one to come up for sale, I decided it was a must buy for the collection!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

booksandcomics wrote:I decided to treat myself to the Dandy comic free gift, the 'Whirly Twirly' from issue #1663, 1973. After waiting many years for one to come up for sale, I decided it was a must buy for the collection!
I always appreciate specific purchases that little bit more when I've waited ages to find one!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i got 43 various Buster from early 60's plus another 2 misty( 1 more needed) and misty holiday specials 1978 and 1979.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:
koollectablz wrote:Picked up the first Valiant summer special. Never had it before so that's a good one for me.
Yeah on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valiant-Summe ... SwmgJY2Zq0

I'll give it a bit of a flatten and it looks like quite a nice copy.
Koollectablz, Looks like this chap thinks the Valiant Summer Special from 1966 that you've just bought is a little more valuable! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332173046154?ul_noapp=true

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Just bought Cor!! 1-51 excluding #2 which I've picked up as well from another seller, I reckon #1-50 will be good bound.

Also picked up a full #1-22 set of StarLord which I'm gonna get bound.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Koollectablz, Looks like this chap thinks the Valiant Summer Special from 1966 that you've just bought is a little more valuable! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332173046154?ul_noapp=true[/quote]

That's me! I put it up hoping you'd notice! Hahaha! If you want it I'm happy to swap for some stuff I'm looking to bind. PM me if you're interested.

Or you could just buy it... :lol:

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Arriving in the post this week were 5 issues of Thriller Picture Library:-
#53 - art by Sep Scott, #64, #71, #76 -art by Bill Lacey, #84 - art by Robert Forrest.
Super Detective Library #52 - art by Oliver Passingham.
T.V. Picture Stories, Dixon of Dock Green. I think it's #4 but titled, "The Gent From Siberia"
At the Barrowlands Con yesterday, I bought Dell 4 Color, El Cid; A WDL reprint of a Toby Billy the Kid; WDL Roy Rogers and Trigger#56 and Miller Cowboy Western Comics #3 - Charlton reprints. The last 3 comics were a bit foosty when I opened the bags, so I've scanned them to my hard drive and put them on the window sill to see if I can get rid of the pong.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Reading --OVER 50 YEARS OF AMERICAN COMIC BOOKS -- at the moment which I picked up at last week ends carboot for a pound (anthing more than a pound I need to put my thinking cap on :D )
It's interesting to read how the standard comic book came into being in the 1930's firstly being reprinted material from newspaper comic strips before the later arrival of completely new material and even then sales were slow to take off.
It would be a while before the boom years.
The Oxfam shop where I visit have had four or five comics in stock for weeks now not selling which doesn ' t surprise me as they include Illustrated classics HAMLET £13.99 and a couple of other illustrated classics from £4.99 to £9.99 plus some of those UK black and white US comic Creepy Worlds type reprints from £1.99- £3.99 which are not too exciting.These comics are not in mint condition and with them being piled with other magazines are bound to get more general wear.
Picked up LOBSTER JOHNSON and GROO which I liked from the Forbidden Planet 50p boxes but generally many modern comics are too cartoony or blood thirsty for my liking.
Well a number of holidays coming up and lots of carboots to visit who knows what bargains await. :D

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

booksandcomics wrote:I decided to treat myself to the Dandy comic free gift, the 'Whirly Twirly' from issue #1663, 1973. After waiting many years for one to come up for sale, I decided it was a must buy for the collection!
Saw that one. The seller had it listed as a 1960s free gift but I thought anyone putting in the real money would have researched this & knew it was 1973. good to see it went to a good home. It got too rich for my blood in the end. looked in nice condition.

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

got the first Rainbow annual from 1924 in decent condition and finally got an illustrated Chips annual from 1939. Still to arrive.
and the usual Merry & Bright, Funny Wonder (Charlie Chaplin issues) and Illustrated Chips from the 1920s & 30s.
As well as an Illustrated Chips comic from 21st Nov 1896, issue #325. in decent condition for a tenner.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up a few Lion Summer Specials inc the last one which always seems very hard to track down for some reason.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Picked up a few Lion Summer Specials inc the last one which always seems very hard to track down for some reason.
Nice one! I'm really enjoying the recent Summer Specials I've picked up, mainly Action and Valiant but I love the cheerfulness of the whole concept. Maybe because I always looked forward to the two I was allowed on our week in Bournemouth as a kid!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

After a very quiet period I've just managed to buy:

Pecos Bill #1 - Thorpe and Porter 1971
Gunsmoke #1 - Thorpe and Porter 1970
Action Summer Special - 1980
Merrymaker - National Sport 1947 - another issue, this one being a Christmas issue but not sure what number of the 11 issued
Laurel and Hardy Bumper Issue #1 - 1970s but no idea on any more info until it turns up
First 3 Valiant and Vulcan comics
Buzz #1 - DCT 1973 - not in the best of condition so will probably be sold on
3 Star Adventures - Foldes 1947 - Another issue to add to the one I have. I'm still not sure which is the first so hopefully buying another issue will help me work it out!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Adam, that 3Star Adventures intrigued me, as I hadn't thought it was a Foldes Press publication. Right enough when I checked in the guide, it's listed as published by Richard Turvey/BCM Demob in 1947. But the fact that art is by Rex Hart suggests this could be a Foldes title, or, at least, that it was printed by them. Foldes were first and foremost printers. So perhaps another of their imprints, or a pre-Foldes name. The "Demob" part of the name is interesting.
Any help and further info greatfully received.