Steve Bright to draw Beryl in Davy Law style?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Steve Bright to draw Beryl in Davy Law style? Is this true.......it'll be cool if so...

On the back cover it had Beryl with a new 'old' look. :D

Loved Tom P work this issue. Like his posters.

Cuddles and Dimples is sooo funny......makes me laugh out loud...loved the ending :D

Good to see Korky.......and Desperate Dan was good....Pinky
Also a unusual cover by Steve..... very different.

I'm enjoying the Dandy more than The Beano at the moment......lots of Tom Paterson work to enjoy :D now if The Beano had Calamity James every week... 8)

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Is that on the back of the latest issue - Beryl's new 'OLD' look?
Funnily enough I have an old Topper from 1961 laying in a box beside me...Just had a flick through (Ahhh, that wonderful old comic smell :shock: ) and a quick read of Beryl the Peril. Really nice scratchy style Law had in those years, and the limited colour palette available in those pre-computer days really worked well with his style.
Happened upon an OLD Beano fan site a while ago which had a brief write up on David Law and made the following observation and whether this is true or not it still made me smile. When Beryl went from 5 rows per page to 4 rows to solve the problem of the panels being a lot taller he simply drew the characters a lot taller and thinner. :D ... Great idea but I guess they just evolved over the years as he was fiddling with his creations.
Andy J

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

Nother, Bad Max is being forgotten I tell you!!

FORGOTTEN!

Seriously, if it is true I think it's a good move, but Beryl's veering off the course her character should be, or was, going in. It's too crazy now!!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that you don't have to wait a week to see Steve's new version of Beryl. The new strip is in the DANDY EASTER SPECIAL, out today! ?2.48

Lew

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

It will be great to see......Bad Max has a Davy Law style as well....

Maybe Steve will draw a stretchy Beryl in one episode for fun......with great over the top persepective.
8)
Looking through my old Nuttys the 1985's I see Steve drew Bananaman characters in there own stories. So he is the right artist to draw Bananaman as well as writing it. I can't believe I missed this when creating the Steve Bright website :oops: :D

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

In his book, A Very Funny Business, Leo Baxendale talks about how it was pressure of work that led to the elongation of characters. The more popular an artist became, the greater the editorial pressure came to bear on them to produce more sets. Leo cites the stretching of Dennis the Menace until he appeared to be ten feet tall if drawn in perspective. He also pointed out the growth of Snitch and Snatch in Lord Snooty, from little dumpling figures to beings that appeared to be stretched thin.

Little Squelchy Thing

Re: Steve Bright to draw Beryl in Davy Law style?

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Peter Gray wrote:I'm enjoying the Dandy more than The Beano at the moment......lots of Tom Paterson work to enjoy :D now if The Beano had Calamity James every week... 8)
I totally agree. The wealth of Tom's work in this week's Dandy was a real treat, which along with My Own Genie and Bananaman, make The Dandy my preferred comic of choice at the moment.

kevf

Post by kevf »

Like the old-style new Beryl (though I loved Karl Dixon's revamp too).

Best thing about this return is the script, nice timing, genuine funnies. Who's writing it?

Kev F

PS: Did I mention I popped into The Beano and Dandy offices on Tuesday? Yes, be jealous. (I was passing).
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

kevf wrote:Who's writing it?

Koff-koff...ahem....that'll be me then. :oops:

Er...apart from the one in the Easter Special which was written by the boss....and is probably the one you're talking about, I bet :oops: :oops:

I'll go draw something, shall I?.........
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

kevf wrote:
PS: Did I mention I popped into The Beano and Dandy offices on Tuesday? Yes, be jealous. (I was passing).
Did you get a cup of tea, Kev?

Did you drink it?
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

David

Post by David »

If Steve Bright is doing Beryl The Peril, what will happen to Karl Dixon?

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

He'll just draw Ollie.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just got the Easter special....like the dinosaur punchline picture

I like Beryl when Robert Nixon did it......I like Wacky crazy over the top humour. So the easter special of Beryl by Steve was right up my street.

The Beano special was unusual.....it had some reprints inside.......though nice to see. Nice to see lots of Barry A.. work :D

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

I looked and only a third of comic strips in the Beano special are new strips. Naughty Beano-getting as bad as the Dandy (worse even!) :evil:
Last edited by Conor B on 15 Jun 2007, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just to say I really liked the Beryl the Peril cartoon in both the comic and special. I spotted Dennis Dad near the nuts stall......it was so pleasing to the eye to see.

Looking forward to more Steve Bright work.....My own Genie......Cuddles and Dimple and Fiddle 'O' Diddle booklet special next week I love Toms wacky work...nice to see it so often......especilly like the posters. Its wonderful to see such top work. The Dandy is the best at the moment.........

8)