The Four Marys- Jim Eldridge

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

The Four Marys- Jim Eldridge

Post by peace355 »

Jim Eldridge has gotten in contact on my site and has confirmed he was the Four Marys artist for its last 12 years. There seems to be misinformation out there (that I repeated on my site) that Barrie Mitchell was the Four Marys artist but that is not the case. Eldridge also drew the Three Imps for Bunty. I am in contact to find out if he did any other stories so I can properly credit him.

More recent work of his can be found here: https://www.beehiveillustration.co.uk/i ... e&sort=ASC

ramirez

Re: The Four Marys- Jim Eldridge

Post by ramirez »

Could you ask him to confirm whether he was the artist of "Mike 's mini-men" for Roy of the Rovers magazine? Thank you... :)

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I will ask and let you know.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Jim has confirmed he did draw Mike's Mini-Men.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

peace355 wrote:Jim has confirmed he did draw Mike's Mini-Men.
Has he confirmed anything else? Oh, and did he draw anything for Tammy? Strange Stories or serials like "Tess on Tap"?

peace355

Post by peace355 »

He hasn't confirmed anything else, I'll let you know if he does.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Jim didn't work on Blackmailed (Suzy) or Finleg the Fox. He did do some Wee Sue for Tammy though. He couldn't remember anything else specifically that he worked on.

I've now down up a post on Jim as he answered some questions for me.

http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/2017/ ... ge-artist/

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

peace355 wrote:Jim didn't work on Blackmailed (Suzy) or Finleg the Fox. He did do some Wee Sue for Tammy though. He couldn't remember anything else specifically that he worked on.

Thank you for the info.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Did Jim do some work on the either of the Commando annuals? His style looks very similiar to the one for Reluctant Hero in the 1990 Annual that I am trying to track down a credit for.

While I can see some similarities in his style to Barrie Mitchell, there are enough significant indicators for people to recognise that it is not Barrie's work and to make Jim's style distinctive.

Overall, a good piece and I enjoyed it. And from Jim's comment, it looks like he did too!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I recall a Valda Picture Story Library from the 1990s, which for once was not drawn by Dudley Wynne. It looked like the same artist who was drawing The Four Marys. Was that Jim too?

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Unfortunetely, Jim can't remember doing either of those.
colcool007 wrote:
While I can see some similarities in his style to Barrie Mitchell, there are enough significant indicators for people to recognise that it is not Barrie's work and to make Jim's style distinctive.
I don't know where it originated that Barrie Mitchell possibly did The Four Marys, but even on one blog post after I said I suspected it was Jim Eldridge's work, I was incorrectly told it was actually Mitchell, so I repeated the mistake. I thought it was worth a mention in the piece on Jim Eldridge to clarify.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

peace355 wrote:Jim didn't work on Blackmailed (Suzy) or Finleg the Fox. He did do some Wee Sue for Tammy though. He couldn't remember anything else specifically that he worked on.

No, Finleg the Fox was definitely Barrie Mitchell.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.