cover artist

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: cover artist

Post by Lew Stringer »

jehanbosch wrote: By the way ; the "Knockout" numbers up to 1954 are now in the public domain.
Are you sure?

"Under the 1995 Regulations the period of author's copyright was further extended, to the lifetime of the author and 70 years thereafter. Those regulations were retrospective: they extended the copyright period for all works which were then still in copyright, and (controversially) revived the lapsed copyright of all authors who had died in the previous 70 years, i.e. since 1925."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrigh ... ed_Kingdom

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

And 70 years from first publication if the author cannot be identified.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote:And 70 years from first publication if the author cannot be identified.
I looked at the seller's online page. He's either being quite naive or bold making this statement:

"DUE TO AGE. BEING OUT OF PRINT. AND PUBLISHING COMPANY NO LONGER IN EXISTENCE THESE COMICS HAVE NO COPYRIGHT"

I'm as annoyed as any of us that IPC / Time Warner are not reprinting the old strips but it's no excuse to make up one's own copyright laws. :lol:

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It's pure ignorance. The typographical arrangement is long since out of copyright (I think it's 25 years) but the copyright in the actual content trumps that.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

This conversation is getting far too serious. This is not a law forum.
No, Lew, I am not a 100 percent sure. It was the outcome of a discussion on a French comics forum.
To set things straight:
1) Although I graduated from Law as well it was on the International Law concerning Ethnic Minorities and I never practised it.
2) Regrettably copyright laws vary from country to country. And I live on the Continent, not in the UK.
3) A law that "revived the lapsed copyright..". Eh!?!?! I doubt this will stand in the European Court of Justice.
Though a librarian I mainly dealt with scholarly, scientific & technical books where copyright is not that important.
One example of the difference of copyright laws in several countries: Peter Pan.
In the later 1980s the copyright expired in Australia. Thus the Australian Burbank Studio released its own animation movie of Peter Pan, unauthorised. But how to sell it in other countries where the copyright had not elapsed? They sold the VHS (and later DVD) to dozens of companies which released the cartoon with radically different covers. Identical contents, different cover.
Attachments
vhs-peter-37215372.jpg

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

jehanbosch wrote:This conversation is getting far too serious. This is not a law forum.
Well I did add a 'lol' emoticon because I found it amusing, not serious. But in other circumstances, yes, I'm afraid copyright infringement would be a very serious business for those of us who make our living from comics, as I'm sure you appreciate.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

jehanbosch wrote:3) A law that "revived the lapsed copyright..". Eh!?!?! I doubt this will stand in the European Court of Justice.
It was harmonising copyright law across the EU, actually. It would have had no effect on Knockout anyway, as none of its content would have been out of copyright by 1988 anyway under the old 50 year after creator's death rule. In fact, every work that ceased to be public domain as a result of the 1988 Act had become public domain again by 31st December 2008!

Peter Pan is an exception, as you say, in at least the UK. Another is the KJV which is crown copyright in the UK but whose copyright outside the Commonwealth (and quite probably in most Commonwealth countries other than the UK) expired centuries ago.

I know this isn't a law forum, but we had a lengthy discussion about copyright a year or two ago. It's actually an absolute minefield, even where the entire EU has the same law for particular types of works.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

As a member of Neverpedia I would love to hear about the copyright of Peter Pan but it sounds like WORK.
Meanwhile I will try to upload the cover of the Spanish VHS -the common & abridged one.
(Why anybody would shorten a movie of 50 minutes to 30 minutes is beyond me.)
This in contrast to the cover of the rather rare complete Spanish VHS I showed earlier; no doubt by the same artist.
Meanwhile a review of Phoenix' "Space Family Robinson" is long overdue.
I read it and my girlfriend and I thought it very amusing.
But it is a spoof, a light comedy/satire of science fiction comics.
The only tie-in is with the "Lost in Space" TV series and not with any comic book.
It is about a spaceship crew of four aliens, who following the advice of the youngest member, a girl who is addicted to earth TV, disguise themselves as the human family Robinson, with hilarious results.
Well, this revealed the existence of science fiction comic books made for girls...
I am not that surprised for I once read a science fiction novel, especially made for women. (Not at all feminist though.)
Thanks again Phoenix!
Attachments
espana-peter-20618743.jpg

standby4action

Re: cover artist NEW ONE NON-UK

Post by standby4action »

Sorry this is a non-UK question but I suspect a lot of people here read DC comics in the Seventies and I've trawled Nick Cardy, Jeff Jones and Neal Adams covers for DC during that period and can't for the life of me think what this German cover reminds me of. Anyone any clue?

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Funnily enough the first thing that cover reminded me of wasn't actually a comic cover but the Dorothy McGuire film The Spiral Staircase. Although an image of scared girl dressed in nightie coming down spooky staircase holding a candle waiting for handsome man to save her must have been used umpteen times. I'm sure as well as Nick Cardy covers Bernie Wrightson must have done loads for those DC horror comics.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

Stingray wrote:Funnily enough the first thing that cover reminded me of wasn't actually a comic cover but the Dorothy McGuire film The Spiral Staircase. Although an image of scared girl dressed in nightie coming down spooky staircase holding a candle waiting for handsome man to save her must have been used umpteen times. I'm sure as well as Nick Cardy covers Bernie Wrightson must have done loads for those DC horror comics.
When you said Spiral Staircase, I thought of Barbara Stanwyck but of course that's "Sorry Wrong Number". Yes the trope of a negligee running is a recurring gothic theme, but I was sure this looked like a very specific cover but have browsed all the usual suspects using the excellent Comics.org - Dark Mansion, Sinister House, Witching Hour, Ghosts etc.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

You could try the covers of "Dark Shadows", the adaptation of the TV series. Although that was a Gold Key comic, not a DC comic.
I am really hopeless about DC because I only read the Edgar Rice Burroughs comic titles for their nostalgic flavour.
Unfortunately I tend to shun DC and even more Marvel because I do not like superheroes.
Can not leave before posting another French cover of the Rollinsons:
Attachments
rollinson-AVENTURES FICTION 4 9.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

jehanbosch wrote:Can not leave before posting another French cover of the Rollinsons
Well I can't see them, jehan. Are they in the spaceship or in the dinosaur? :)

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

jehanbosch wrote:You could try the covers of "Dark Shadows", the adaptation of the TV series. Although that was a Gold Key comic, not a DC comic.
Good try and thanks too but no biscuit this time See http://www.comics.org/series/1918/covers/