Mail on Sunday special issue

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
Stingray
Posts: 62
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 16:37
Location: Scotland and le South West

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Stingray »

Remember, 'You're only as old as the comic you read!'
Oh hang on, that won't work. :shock:

User avatar
WizzKid97
Posts: 435
Joined: 01 May 2011, 14:57
Location: Middleton-on-Sea, UK
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by WizzKid97 »

Alex Matthews wrote:Apparently my iteration wasn't going down well with the readers. Bah!
For some reason I feel like that's just an excuse. I must admit I didn't really get into the latest story-arc of Ball Boy, but overall I really enjoyed it.

What I really dislike is how they circled completely. They get you, Wayne and Jamie to redesign the characters and I quite honestly loved all three redesigns, then they go back to the old styles again because "apparently" it wasn't going down well with the readers.

I'm quite honestly getting sick of the Beano. It just gets rid of everything good for the sake of being traditional. Now seemingly, Wayne isn't even allowed to draw Bananaman in his own style any more.

Really considering just giving the Beano up as much as it pains me to say.
Image
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3821
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:I've just been informed by someone posting on my blog that the Scottish newspaper The Courier will be giving away the same free Beano with this Thursday's edition.
The Courier also runs a few strips. On Saturday, it was The Nibblers (looked like Hunt's work), Pansy Potter and another strip who's name currently escapes me.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:I've just been informed by someone posting on my blog that the Scottish newspaper The Courier will be giving away the same free Beano with this Thursday's edition.
The Courier also runs a few strips. On Saturday, it was The Nibblers (looked like Hunt's work), Pansy Potter and another strip who's name currently escapes me.
That's good. I don't think The Courier is available down here. I've never seen it anyway, but the Sunday Post is widely available.

User avatar
-MikeD-
Posts: 372
Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 18:15
Location: Hull - UK
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by -MikeD- »

WizzKid97 wrote:I'm quite honestly getting sick of the Beano. It just gets rid of everything good for the sake of being traditional. Now seemingly, Wayne isn't even allowed to draw Bananaman in his own style any more.

Really considering just giving the Beano up as much as it pains me to say.
It's not so much traditional art styles (my style is seen as too retro) but the kind of rendering that appeals to the age group that buy the Beano. The feedback from the kids confirms that bold, bright, clean art and traditional puns and slapstick are popular.

I wish there was a market for a funny comic with actual comic strips aimed at older kids, but as discussed ad nauseam on this board and elsewhere, there isn't. I know - it's a bloody shame when you consider what the likes of Lew, Alex, Jamie and Wilbur could contribute, but there you go...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Lew Stringer »

-MikeD- wrote:
I wish there was a market for a funny comic with actual comic strips aimed at older kids, but as discussed ad nauseam on this board and elsewhere, there isn't. I know - it's a bloody shame when you consider what the likes of Lew, Alex, Jamie and Wilbur could contribute, but there you go...
Sadly there never has been much interest for humour comics for older kids in this country, although apparently a lot of young teens were reading Viz and their imitators at one stage. Even I stopped reading Dandy, Whoopee, etc when I was 16 and I was comic mad. If I hadn't been pursuing a career in comics four years later I doubt I'd have started buying them again. Most older kids who like comics move on to superhero comics and then on to more sophisticated comics aimed at adults. Most kids stop completely of course. (Their loss.)

On a professional level it doesn't particularly bother me that there aren't mainstream humour comics around for older kids in the UK. I've written/drawn for all ages, from nursery to adult, so I just adapt to suit, as most of us would. I'd just like to see more comics published for whatever the target audience is because at the moment there are more cartoonists in the industry than there are pages available to draw! And the end result of that is that inevitably good artists will drift away from comics as a necessity to survive in other areas of illustration. Or pack it in completely. :(
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:I've just been informed by someone posting on my blog that the Scottish newspaper The Courier will be giving away the same free Beano with this Thursday's edition.
The Courier also runs a few strips. On Saturday, it was The Nibblers (looked like Hunt's work), Pansy Potter and another strip who's name currently escapes me.
That's good. I don't think The Courier is available down here. I've never seen it anyway, but the Sunday Post is widely available.
Yeah, it's a local paper only sold in East Central Scotland, whereas Sunday Post is national. http://www.dcthomson.co.uk/brands/the-courier

Col, are those strips reprints, from recent Beanos?

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

DCT owns my local Scottish newspaper, and they sometimes rerun one-panel Beano strips...this Thursday, the same special edition is to be given free with the paper.

BeanoMaster
Posts: 34
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 19:37
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by BeanoMaster »

WizzKid97 wrote:
Alex Matthews wrote:Apparently my iteration wasn't going down well with the readers. Bah!
For some reason I feel like that's just an excuse. I must admit I didn't really get into the latest story-arc of Ball Boy, but overall I really enjoyed it.

What I really dislike is how they circled completely. They get you, Wayne and Jamie to redesign the characters and I quite honestly loved all three redesigns, then they go back to the old styles again because "apparently" it wasn't going down well with the readers.

I'm quite honestly getting sick of the Beano. It just gets rid of everything good for the sake of being traditional. Now seemingly, Wayne isn't even allowed to draw Bananaman in his own style any more.

Really considering just giving the Beano up as much as it pains me to say.
I liked Wayne's Bananaman but I never liked Alex's Ball Boy or Jamie's Roger

User avatar
Digifiend
Posts: 7280
Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 11:43
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Digifiend »

If you have an Android or iPhone, you don't need to pay - you can download it free on the Beano app.

dandy mad
Posts: 769
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 00:28
Location: Leigh lancashire
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by dandy mad »

Currently downloading it on my iPad and no need to get ripped off buying it on feebay or having to buy a far right paper

dandy mad
Posts: 769
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 00:28
Location: Leigh lancashire
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by dandy mad »

There is no daily mail on the front cover of the free Beano probably be the same on the Courier freebie too and what's with the moaning and groaning about certain strips it's not that bad what do you expect for free?

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3821
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by colcool007 »

Digifiend wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
colcool007 wrote: The Courier also runs a few strips. On Saturday, it was The Nibblers (looked like Hunt's work), Pansy Potter and another strip who's name currently escapes me.
That's good. I don't think The Courier is available down here. I've never seen it anyway, but the Sunday Post is widely available.
Yeah, it's a local paper only sold in East Central Scotland, whereas Sunday Post is national. http://www.dcthomson.co.uk/brands/the-courier

Col, are those strips reprints, from recent Beanos?
I couldn't honestly say as my comic buying is limited to what I get at the shows for now. It's possible that they are reprints, but I think you may need an expert opinion to confirm/deny.

TBH, I would be more surprised if they were commissioned just for the Courier as that does not fit with my knowledge of the thrifty nature of DCT!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
Gilly
Posts: 404
Joined: 06 Oct 2011, 12:16

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Gilly »

dandy mad wrote:There is no daily mail on the front cover of the free Beano probably be the same on the Courier freebie too and what's with the moaning and groaning about certain strips it's not that bad what do you expect for free?
We're not moaning and groaning, we are discussing our own personal opinions.

Feel free to agree or disagree.

dandy mad
Posts: 769
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 00:28
Location: Leigh lancashire
Contact:

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by dandy mad »

Opinions are like arseholes everybody has one including me.... :lol:

Post Reply