Your Favourite Time for Having Comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

SID

Your Favourite Time for Having Comics

Post by SID » 22 Dec 2019, 19:25

Though my love for comics is still strong and I still get a fair few regularly (see avatar), you can never beat the enjoyment you had as a kid. My favourite period I think was 1975-1977. During which I was introduced to Cracker, IPC's Mickey Mouse, Krazy Comic, Cheeky Weekly and not least - 2000AD.

Another found memory is in late 60s & early 70s when I would wait impatiently every Saturday for my Dad to come home from work with the latest copies of The Dandy and The Beano. Usually when Dixon of Dock Green was just finishing.

When was your?
Collecting comics since 1975 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Your Favourite Time for Having Comics

Post by colcool007 » 22 Dec 2019, 21:49

Mine was Christmas mornings without fail. All of us would get an annual and the explosion of reading material in the house each year just could not be beaten.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno » 23 Dec 2019, 04:00

For me it has to be 1975/6 and the explosion of UK Marvel titles which meant that every penny I could earn still wasn’t enough to buy all the titles I wanted. Walking home from the newsagents, reading the latest Captain Britain or MWoM was always such a joy........even when I once walked straight into a lamppost and had a perfect vertical bruise on my face later. I still remember my Mum trying, not successfully, to stifle her giggles!

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald » 04 Jan 2020, 01:20

There was multiple annuals in the house at Christmas, Boys, Girls and Humour, so that was always great.
Time periods though, probably 83-87 for Brit comics and 88-94 for the 'comics grow up titles' and 90- 00 for American comics. American comics didn't last the pace TBH, lost interest in the continuous crossovers, I still enjoy the occasional standalone Supe title, and of course Hellboy, Resident Alien, the Goon are always worth picking up.

Shiner

Post by Shiner » 04 Jan 2020, 15:36

My Mum picked up my reserved comics twice a week. Tuesday was Beano and Topper then on Friday Avengers (later The Titans), Spider-man, TV Comic, Donald & Mickey & Look-In. So mid 70s.

SID

Post by SID » 04 Jan 2020, 21:24

Shiner wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 15:36
My Mum picked up my reserved comics twice a week. Tuesday was Beano and Topper then on Friday Avengers (later The Titans), Spider-man, TV Comic, Donald & Mickey & Look-In. So mid 70s.
Ahh. Donald and Mickey. Loved it in the 70s and was the first comic to get me to look outside the DCT stable.
Collecting comics since 1975 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac » 05 Jan 2020, 14:10

I wonder if members know that Donald and Mickey was advertised as a new comic in IPC titles but then came an announcement that the launch had been delayed. I was looking through some issues of Shoot on Friday and noticed a small piece in one of them apologising for its delay.

SID

Post by SID » 05 Jan 2020, 17:45

stevezodiac wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 14:10
I wonder if members know that Donald and Mickey was advertised as a new comic in IPC titles but then came an announcement that the launch had been delayed. I was looking through some issues of Shoot on Friday and noticed a small piece in one of them apologising for its delay.
Not me since I didn't discover Donald and Mickey (along with Goofy and also Pluto) until 1974. I continued reading both titles until they merged together and then later it became Mickey Mouse.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac » 05 Jan 2020, 19:22

Another issue of Shoot! from the same year apologised for having fewer colour pages due to the electricity shortage. Obviously during the strikes of the 1970s