Forgotten hero: The Purple Hood

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Forgotten hero: The Purple Hood

Post by philcom55 »

Kashgar wrote:In the late 1960's we used to holiday at Butlins in Bognor
Did you receive a Butlin Beaver Annual the following Christmas? We could never afford to go to Butlins but I did manage to get a copy of the Beaver Annual No.3 from 1964 which seemed to be published as a promotional device to make kids want to return every year. This was supposedly edited by Enid Blyton who also contributed a couple of text stories, but the bulk of it was taken up with reprints of American Hanna-Barbera strips featuring Huckleberry Hound and pals (apart from the eponymous 'Billy Beaver' who seems to have been a homegrown creation drawn in the style of Yogi Bear!). As a matter of interest does anybody know how many editions of this curious piece of British comics history were published?

- Phil Rushton

Brendan McGuire

Re: Forgotten hero: The Purple Hood

Post by Brendan McGuire »

Kashgar wrote:OK Brendan. I think you deserve the prize. (Not that there is one of course).
Wh-what! (lip tremble) No Sherbert Fountain? :(

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

No Phil, although we went to Butlins five times in total I can't remember ever getting a Butlin Beaver Annual. I can safely say that in all my prepubescent years beaver, butlin' or otherwise, played little or no part!

kevf

Post by kevf »

I bought this same, by the way P**s-awful, comic in our local newsagents, in Kibworth in Leicestershire, sometime around 1976-8. They must have had mountains of them in the distributor's warehouse from 10 years earlier and just flung them in with the comics on the off chance.

I've still got it somewhere. Maybe we can turn tthis into the new Penny Black of comics? (More likely there's still a pile of them in that same warehouse, it really is that bad).

Kev F
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

The Purple Hood will soon appear in Starscape webcomic, so you can all judge for yourself on the strip quality.

Chris
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

The Purple Hood now has an adventure posted at Starscape webcomic.

There's also a classic British tale with The Spider v Robot Archie.

Chris
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics