What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

I received Buster comic libraries 3-11 & 2000AD complete year 2015,

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Adam Eterno wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Just recieved the compleat run of JET [1971]:

---I bought the odd copy of this first time around , and this is my first revisit for a whopping 45 years.........and it still looks great; the detailed, larger-scaled artwork is just the sort of stuff I still enjoy: I can't remember some of the adventure strips [the four sergeants?!] but I most certainly remember Von Hoffmans' Invasion, Kids from Stalag and Crazy Car Capers, amongst others.

There was a lot of truly odd stuff from IPC especially done during this period [similar artwork by the same artists and also-like imaginitive concepts also turn up in VALIANT from the same era], but I for one would not change a thing --the contemporary adverts are also equally priceless: Super Mousse!!

No regrets on this one: also contains great gags by Phil Millar, a whole weekly page of them every issue.

I was slightly too young for these when they first came out but I'm on the lookout for the set now as they look to be exactly what I enjoy. I saw the set (22 issues) go for £70 ish in November on Ebay and almost went for them but didn't. I'll keep a lookout this year!

:D :D :D It's good stuff Adam, but I am biased towards most British comics from the 60s and late 70s: I've looked through about four issues already, I will certainly look through the entire lot....this has more than likely been stated on this board before: issue one centre spread features the artwork of Mike Lacey on KIDS of STALAG, issue two onwards all looks like it is by Tony Goffe,

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I need about 6 issues of jet i may have to hunt them down and at least have a full run.and the fact it merged with buster helps my decision.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Made my (annual) trip to the charity shops (looking for annuals that is)
Found none of interest.
There is a charity bookshop a couple of miles from the town centre which although it is a tough cycle ride at least you do get the reward of looking through four large boxes of comics.These are a pound each and having picked out a dozen or more I then had to reduce them to 5 the maximum I wanted to spend.
I got-------

MIRACLEMAN FAMILY and MIRACLEMAN APOCRYPHIA (double pack ) £1
DC SECRET ORIGINS ADAM STRANGE/DR OCCULT £1
DC SECRET ORIGINS GREEN LANTERN/SANDMAN £1
FLINCH various stories, ( includes some Garth Ennis work ) £1
DC I...VAMPIRE £1

I live in Leicester and am a football fan and you may wonder how our team came to be at the top of the league .That's
a question me and many local fans don't know the answer to :D crazy league.
Last edited by abacus on 28 Jan 2016, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

abacus wrote:

I live in Leicester and am a football fan and you may wonder how our team came to be at the top of the league .That's
a question me and many local fans don't know the answer to :D crazy league.
I'd rather Leicester win the league than man city or arse cos i know spurs got no hope :lol:

Today i got buster annual 1975(again ,that'll teach me to mark stuff of my list as i get em ),nipper annual and another batch of 2000ad along with another 15 issues of buster+ more doubles( the only trouble bidding on lots) also bought judge dredd megazine and will not be buying that again at nearly £6 a pop and £7 if i wanted to subscribe on a monthly basis ,they should scrap the so called free graphic novel and reduce the price to about £3.50.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

I have a copy of the Beano Book 1970 again. The jokes are like old friends; rock buns made with cement, a schoolbook titled "Hard Sums", an exploding Hoover, mutilated garden gnomes, and a sweaty terrified elephant leaping six foot in the air at the sight of a mouse.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Somebody ought to publish a real children's book called 'Hard Sums' (genuine maths but with humorous illustrations) - I bet it'd sell like hot cakes, and could do for Mathematics what the 'Horrible History' books do for History! :)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

philcom55 wrote:Somebody ought to publish a real children's book called 'Hard Sums' (genuine maths but with humorous illustrations) - I bet it'd sell like hot cakes, and could do for Mathematics what the 'Horrible History' books do for History! :)
Love it :D

And a canned drink called "Fizzy Pop" while they're at it.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:also bought judge dredd megazine and will not be buying that again at nearly £6 a pop and £7 if i wanted to subscribe on a monthly basis ,they should scrap the so called free graphic novel and reduce the price to about £3.50.
Think it through, Bri. 2000AD is £2.55 for 32 pages of originated content, so as Judge Dredd has 64 pages of originated content it'd cost around £5 even without the bagged reprint graphic novel. Besides, a lot of people like the extra 64 page graphic novel as it reprints material they may have missed.

£5.80 for 128 pages is good value when you compare it to the price of other comics and magazines.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

DOCTOR STRANGE #4 and CLEAN ROOM #3, both recommended by someone whose opinion I trust.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Every graphic comic supplement that Judge Dredd Megazine offers, I have already in past collected issues of both 2000 ad and Judge Dredd, so... on the one hand, if the price reflects this addition, I can understand the grumbles of a veteran reader; on the other hand, if this attracts new readers and sustains the publication, then it has to be sustained as a necessary evil. Remember, Judge Dredd was on the edge of nowhere back in the mid-late nineties when it was reprinting the likes of Preacher. So, I can't complain. As for 2000 ad, still ongoing since 1977 and not relying on any reprints whatsoever... can't beat that. Well, Beano can, I know, but as regards mature themes...

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I got another 31 issues of whizzer & chips.Also took a gamble and bought the latest 4 issues of commando because i was away from home and bored and after reading 'Old Rusty' thought to my self why have i never ever bought a single issue of this,needless to say i'm hoping to find a few cheap job lots on ebay when i can afford to.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
big bad bri wrote:also bought judge dredd megazine and will not be buying that again at nearly £6 a pop and £7 if i wanted to subscribe on a monthly basis ,they should scrap the so called free graphic novel and reduce the price to about £3.50.
Think it through, Bri. 2000AD is £2.55 for 32 pages of originated content, so as Judge Dredd has 64 pages of originated content it'd cost around £5 even without the bagged reprint graphic novel. Besides, a lot of people like the extra 64 page graphic novel as it reprints material they may have missed.

£5.80 for 128 pages is good value when you compare it to the price of other comics and magazines.

You are right in the originated content bit Lew but cant really afford to pay that every month but i definitely would if i could afford it as i have loads of magazines but haven't collected it in nearly 5 years i think due to moths flying out of wallet :lol: i'm also fed up with viz for a long time now with the needless waste of pages with the Roger Mellie profanisaurus thing And nearly half the mag is adverts,But i do still love viz just skip loads of pages.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

big bad bri wrote:i'm also fed up with viz for a long time now with the needless waste of pages with the Roger Mellie profanisaurus thing And nearly half the mag is adverts,But i do still love viz just skip loads of pages.
You're not alone in your thoughts on Viz - it's very rare for it to raise a smile these last few years, I don't even bother reading the stuff by Cat Sullivan or Tom Paterson any more, and haven't read the Profanisaurus since 2003 (did my English Language A-Level coursework based on that!). The adverts are completely off target, and there's only really the odd Davey Jones strip or Roger Mellie's rare appearances that are any fun nowadays.

And yet I keep buying it... It's been a part of my comic-reading life for over twenty years, it's nice to have constants in life, however disappointing or tedious they might be.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

SID

Post by SID »

Found that my local Sainsbury's had a stack of last week's and this week's Beanos. Couldn't resist. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).