Trying to remember a story

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

kmas

Trying to remember a story

Post by kmas »

Hi, I'm new to the board and am enjoying reading through the posts.
It's made me think of a story that I read years ago, probably mid-80s and most likely the Bunty or Nikki.

It was about an orphan who worked in a pewter factory and wanted to escape. She make a set of cutlery(?) with letters engraved on the back which spelled out "Help Us Poor Pewter Girls" but they were dropped and messed up.

They were given to a rich girl who eventually worked out the clue and rescued the factory girls.

Anyone remember where I read this?

Thamks

Tammyfan

Re: Trying to remember a story

Post by Tammyfan »

Yes, it's Slaves of the Teasets, one of the picture libraries. I'll
dig it out in the morning.

kmas

Post by kmas »

That's right! It was a teaset! Thanks for the very quick reply :)

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The story first appeared in 1987 and was reprinted in 1997.

It is interesting that they persisted in making pewter teasets and people kept buying them although they were aware of the dangers of lead poisoning - at least in this story. One of the teaset slaves actually dies from it. It is an occupational hazard for the slaves and of course the owner of the business does not get treatment for them. Make 2000 pieces a day (the punishment for failing the quota is not revealed), unhealthy and dangerous conditions, poor and inadequate food (which they have to buy out of their own wages, and they go without if they don't have the money), and no clocks to tell them how many hours they have worked before they are told to stop working.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Tammyfan wrote:...Make 2000 pieces a day (the punishment for failing the quota is not revealed), unhealthy and dangerous conditions, poor and inadequate food (which they have to buy out of their own wages, and they go without if they don't have the money), and no clocks to tell them how many hours they have worked before they are told to stop working.
...Ah yes. Those were the days! :)

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:...Make 2000 pieces a day (the punishment for failing the quota is not revealed), unhealthy and dangerous conditions, poor and inadequate food (which they have to buy out of their own wages, and they go without if they don't have the money), and no clocks to tell them how many hours they have worked before they are told to stop working.
...Ah yes. Those were the days! :)

- Phil R.
Which are still the days in many countries. :(