The Space Kids and my kid in tears

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

meherenow

Re: The Space Kids and my kid in tears

Post by meherenow »

I think I love you guys....

Or I'm maybe just a bit tired and emotional after a Christmas workish night out yesterday :D

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Strange, I posted a thank you, but it never appeared on the thread yet the main board page said I had the last post....

Anyway, I'll say it again - I think I love you guys!

Or maybe I'm just a bit tired and emotional after being out enjoying some festivities yesterday :D

edit: hmm, I see this post appeared fine - this happened the other day as well, I posted a reply yet my post count never increased. Of course my post count is fine now as my missing reply has bumped it up to the correct number! Probably some Firefox problem as usual.

edit again: Dear me, I see my post appeared belatedly after all...
Last edited by meherenow on 22 Dec 2010, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks Spy and Phil
and glad you liked reading the other one at my blog..

They sure had some great cliff hangers!!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...speaking of which here's the next cliffhanger:

- I wonder if Meherenow Jnr. can guess who that mysterious figure in the final panel is? (there's a clue in the treasure chest! :wink: )

(...To be continued! )

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

meherenow wrote:Strange, I posted a thank you, but it never appeared on the thread yet the main board page said I had the last post....

Anyway, I'll say it again - I think I love you guys!

Or maybe I'm just a bit tired and emotional after being out enjoying some festivities yesterday :D

edit: hmm, I see this post appeared fine - this happened the other day as well, I posted a reply yet my post count never increased. Of course my post count is fine now as my missing reply has bumped it up to the correct number! Probably some Firefox problem as usual.
Ugh, not that problem again, it's a known bug, very annoying. :censored:

Phil, thanks for posting the Space Kids story which would've been in Classics 176. :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Keep adding your immaculate scans, Phil; they are much better than my clumsy efforts! I have been meaning to get an A3 scanner for a long time, but sadly funding has been tight over the past year....hopefully things will improve.

At the moment, cash has to go on much-needed heating arrangements at home.........heaters next to pipes to stop them from freezing and bursting, etc.

Your scanning work is much appreciated, and the 'tune in for the next page' approach takes me back to my old comic-reading days.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And it was Freckles all along!!! :)

Tune in tomorrow for the final page - same Space Time, same Space Channel! :wink:

- Phil R.

(Incidentally, I've used a bog standard A4 flatbed scanner for these images Rab. Rather than looking for a suitable A3 one you might be better off trying out some decent image-editing software instead. I've found that Photoshop allows me to marry two halves together almost seamlessly)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wow, I can't see the join, you had us fooled!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I missed the required issues by a measly ONE number, meherenow........believe me, I was praying for the required numbers 506/507 to turn up......I have 508! [which, by the way, has the first instalment of a story that has already appeared in Classics, about the 'turtlemen'.

However, I can at least offer up this one-off Christmas 1965 BEEZER 'Space Kids' tale in compensation: [I"m sure you will agree that the addition of limited colour adds a lot to the finished artwork: artwork by future JUDGE DREDD stalwart Ron Smith: as if you ever doubted that!] The Christmas 1965 issue is numbered 519 :[DEC 25 th, appropriately enough.]Hope your son likes it.......sorry it isn't the missing two chapters.

These comics are really brittle and have to be handled like museum exhibits! Still, I got 16 issues for a measly 6 quid including postage, so I can't complain.......

Sorry to be picky Rab but when exactly in Classics did the Turtlemen series appear?
It's certainly not in any of the issues under review here. In fact the Turtlemen series (508-512) is actually the 'underwater' series that Niblet mentions having appeared in Best of Beezer. (The Spiders story he also refers to that also appeared in an issue of BoB originally appeared in Beezer Nos (548-550)).
Also when you refer to the Beezer 1965 Xmas story as a one-off you are incorrect as the story took two issues to complete (518-519) with the large snowball providing continuity between the first episode and the second. I only mention this because in a previous post I thought I'd made this clear when referring to the reprinting of the two-part story in the 1976/1977 reprint series.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'Turtlemen' was just my own self-made-up description for a story where creatures answering this description appear in a striking closing frame, Kashgar.......I saw this image over the weekend while looking through the '65 BEEZERS and I recognized it straight away from being in CLASSICS or a similar reprint publication [but in black-and-white] but I'm afraid I can't recall which edition the most recent reprint appeared in....but thanks for clarifying the matters accurately.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here we are again for our final visit (at least in this storyline) to the planet Lezar with the Space Kids:

Poor old Tubby - in spite of his determination to stay out of trouble in the future it was only a week before he found himself bound and helpless once more, this time (as Ispyshhguy and Kashgar have already pointed out) at the hands of a sinister group of turtle men! :)

It's interesting that 'The Space Kids' wasn't the Beezer's only two-page Science Fiction series during this period as the centre pages simultaneously featured Ken Hunter's 'Scarlet Spider' (though personally I think I'd have preferred to see the former strip being given the full-colour treatment instead).

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks Phil..

Just a cheeky ending to this could you put up a image of the Turtlemen..
thank you..its been great to finish it off.. 8)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

No problem Peter - one surly-looking pair of turtlemen coming right up! (though it might be a good idea to hide this from Meherenow Jnr. in case we end up right back at square one! :wink: )

- Few people did alien weirdness quite like Ron Smith!

- Phil R.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Wow they are good!!
Thanks Phil.. :D :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Great! Just one last question... did the kids ever get home?