What is your favourite comic - still being produced

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

What is your favourite comic - still being produced

Post by SID »

A question:

What is your favourite comic that is still in production today?

And how does it compare to your all-time favourite?

Well, it is two questions but there you go. :mrgreen:

Added Note: If you do not have a particular favourite like Tony below, then state how the current comic compares to your all-time favourites.
Last edited by SID on 12 Mar 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Re: What is your favourite comic - still being produced

Post by tony ingram »

If we're talking British comics, currently 2000AD, although the American Red Sonja title comes close. How either of them would compare with my all-time favourite, though...well, to answer that I'd first need to have an all-time favourite, and that would be doing a disservice to the many other titles I've loved over the years, from Star-Lord to The Daredevils to Whoopee!

SID

Post by SID »

Thanks, Tony and fair point about not having an all-time favourite.

Yes, I was talking more about British comics being this website is dedicated to them but any comic will do.

Before I got cut off by my company's firewall (I can only access this site during my lunch hour), I was going to answer my own question:

All-Time Favourite: Unlike, Tony, I do have an all-time favourite though I do understand his comments. In my case, although there have been comics I have loved which include (and not in any order): 1970s The Dandy, Starlord, The Crunch, Cracker, Warrior, Starblazer, Captain Britain (Alan Davies' version), etc... and even the up and coming Strip Magazine; I always found that 2000AD was slightly ahead. From the very first issue when Dan Dare and Flesh exploded off the page to the latest adventures of Judge Dredd, Nikolai Dante and more Flesh; I have always looked forward to each and every prog.

Current Favourite: Same answer as above which just goes to show that I am lucky that my favourite comic as a child is still with me as an adult.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I don't think I could truthfully say that 2000AD was my all-time favourite, as for a lengthy period in the late 80's/early 90's I found it virtually unreadable a lot of the time, but it's certainly a great read now, and I'd say it was at the top of its game from about 1981-1986.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I would have to say Commnado on the basis that it is basically still the same as it was in 1961 and the stories and art are still very good. There is some comfort in having something around that hasn't been modernised.

I get off the tube at Monument and most nights I see one of the 1950s Routemaster buses that still run on routes 9 and 15 - another great iconic image.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

The one I get the most enjoyment out of these days is Viz - never really been into adventure stories (bar Sonic The Comic and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles), and the modern Beano and Dandy are missing a certain something... But Viz is always a reliable one to go to. Hasn't really changed all THAT much over the years, and is still as funny as it used to be (contrary!).

Not sure if I have an all-time favourite comic - probably say the Beano if I was forced to pick one at gunpoint.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

tony ingram wrote:2000ad...I'd say it was at the top of its game from about 1981-1986.
This. 2000ad in the early Eighties. And it's not entirely down to nostalgia...Moore, Mills, O'Neill, Bolland, Bellardinelli, Gibson and others all produced work that I still regard with awe even now. I also thought Krazy Komic was brilliant, and Starlord, The Daredevils, Warrior, Mad Magazine and early Viz.

This may sound strange, even perverse, coming from a bloke who writes and draws comics, but I don't really read any modern comics, and I haven't done for a while. I still get The Beano and Dandy, because my kids love them. And my eldest buys 2000ad, which I flick through occasionally. I also bought Strip, but mostly out of professional curiosity. I found it didn't grip me, maybe it's my age. Same with The Phoenix - nice to look at, but it felt derivative and safe (tho' I hope it's intended readership, who are much younger and less cynical than me, like it and I've heard a lot of praise on this very board so it's probably just me...). So I guess I'd find it hard to compare modern comics with my all time favourites...
Last edited by -MikeD- on 13 Mar 2012, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

starscape

Post by starscape »

Pretty similar taste to Mike. Hell, virtually the same. I find myself buying cheap runs of Eagle, Warlord, Marvel UK etc from eBay and read those of a night. Not only are they generally cheaper but also a better read.

Besides Strip and Mudman, there's nothing British that really takes my fancy. 2000AD probably does but a weekly doesn't fit into my life right now. Hence why I struggle with Private Eye, New Scientist, blogs etc. Just too busy for so much.

Marvel frustrates me in that it writes for the trade. I get a comic and it's really just an ad for the next. I'd love to read more Marvel/DC but the universes are so convoluted that reading the odd one or two doesn't work. Also, many of the artists have that manga influence that puts me right off. Give me Adams/Aparo/Buscema etc any day. I like my heroes to look like people, not cartoons.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

My all time favourite (existing UK )comic was the original Mighty World of Marvel - the new Panini MWOM is, as far as production goes a far superior item (full colour and lots of pages) but the first 2-3 years of the original MWOM was far better (IMHO) as it had the main characters (Spidey, Hulk, DD, FF) from the start with fresh exciting stories (although Spidey moved after 20 weeks or so to his own comic in the 70s) a great fan vibe to it and hey I was 11 years old everything comics is better when your 11.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Speaking of Spidey, his Panini Collectors Edition, Spectacular Spider-Man, will be somewhat diluted in a couple of months, as they'll be printing FF in it (since Spidey replaced the Torch, and FF Adventures is currently on it's final issue). Since the title doesn't use retro reprints (and is in fact fortnightly instead of four-weekly like the others), some solo material will be lost.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

McSCOTTYS GHOST wrote:My all time favourite (existing UK )comic was the original Mighty World of Marvel - the new Panini MWOM is, as far as production goes a far superior item (full colour and lots of pages) but the first 2-3 years of the original MWOM was far better (IMHO) as it had the main characters (Spidey, Hulk, DD, FF) from the start with fresh exciting stories (although Spidey moved after 20 weeks or so to his own comic in the 70s) a great fan vibe to it and hey I was 11 years old everything comics is better when your 11.
I loved the original MWOM. the lineup changes were so wonderfully random-I think my favourite period was when it featured the Hulk, Daredevil, Captain Marvel and Planet of the Apes!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Speaking of Spidey, his Panini Collectors Edition, Spectacular Spider-Man, will be somewhat diluted in a couple of months, as they'll be printing FF in it (since Spidey replaced the Torch, and FF Adventures is currently on it's final issue). Since the title doesn't use retro reprints (and is in fact fortnightly instead of four-weekly like the others), some solo material will be lost.

I think you mean Astonishing Spider-Man? Not sure how you think material will be lost when the US Amazing Spider-Man is published twice a month and FF is monthly. Each fortnightly issue of Astonishing reprints three comics, (ie: 6 a month) so in fact they'll have to pad it out with extras occasionally (such as Avenging Spider-Man) so they don't catch up with the American editions.

I imagine FF will replace the 1980s Spider-Man retro reprints they've been running.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

My overall favourite comic of all time is The Phoenix which I think shares that perfect balance between humour and adventure. However if you mean a classic which is still going, The Dandy has to be on top for me.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

mrbananas

Post by mrbananas »

Are they actually printing FF in Astonishing Spiderman ? Thought they were just printing the Amazing Spiderman issues that had the FF in them (when he replaced Johnny)